Monday, January 7, 2008

Tribute By Chris

This was written by Chris at Dawn's request and read by her cousin at Ron's memorial service in Kenmore NY last Sunday


My cell phone rang one night, I was sitting on the couch mindlessly scrolling through the endless channels on TV and it was Ron asking me " where are you?......not, how are you, or what's going on....no....where are you? Having a travel schedule as demanding as his, we always started our conversations this way. I surprised him and said I was home in LA and shot back "where are you? " Never mind" he said.... turn on ESPN and tell me what "it" sounds like. As I changed the channel, of course I realized he was in a broadcast truck working an event and once again wanted to know how "it" sounded and what can we do to improve "it". This pursuit of "it" was never ending and will always remind me that his passion to make "it" sound better than anybody else, is why Ron Scalise and I became friends.

I met Ron (6) years ago at a Surround Sound Conference In LA through a business associate who said: " I want to introduce you to someone..........he will be your new best friend". He was right. Having just "went off" about "whatever" in my presentation, I sat down at a table with (7) people I didn't know. I say this because after being introduced to Ron and ordering a drink, I remember the waitress asking us "would you like another" and realizing that he and I were the only ones left sitting at the table. That moment forged a relationship that was more than unique.....and dare I say inspirational. I know it changed both our lives and hopefully, countless others.
Martin Luther King said: " Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent about things that matter"
"it", mattered to Ron. His passion and commitment to his craft was unmatched by any in his industry. I remember at a trade show in Las Vegas, going to an "industry gathering" with him and noticing his place in the broadcast community. After showing his invite, yeah,..... I was his date, we never made it pass the desk. He was immediately stopped by "whoever" and the barrage of people approaching him never ended. My role at that point was to gather food and drink and return to the master. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed it. Ron was always gracious and introduced me to everyone that stopped to talk to him. I especially enjoyed meeting those that for years, I endlessly tried to call and get to know. Because of Ron, they of course acted like they knew me and yes, I was their best friend. Ron's selflessness was one of his many traits.
We shared more than a "business" relationship. I think all musicians, I didn't say professional musicians, share an emotional connection to each other. He was a musician and more.....sharing and touching so many. Whether you are writing it, playing it, recording it, and presenting it, "it" is in your blood, like family, and can never leave you. His path was this way. I'm glad my path was this way too.
When I first started, as a "second" recording engineer in NYC, I was having dinner at a restaurant with a record label president and Sam LeFrak, owner of the label and OWNER of Queens. As we walked in, I was given a blue blazer to wear......being 18, I had no idea......I mean.....NO...... IDEA! The night was a blur.....the record I delivered to the label was being "passed on" and I remember a conversation about "50" people that matter in "the industry". This infinite wisdom went in one ear and out the other. Years later, I was attending a dinner with a "different" group and heard the exact same speech. What dawned on me was maybe, I was going to meet the "50 people that mattered" by attending these dinners. Luckily, I was wrong ......thank God! The dinners I now attend are by my choosing....and I'm sure fate is definitely involved.
Needless to say, over the years I believe I have meet some of those "50" that matter. And, I actually didn't have to go to "50" dinners. I know they don't know it.....those that make a difference have no idea about their relevance to others and what they contribute to the world. I do know one thing.....that number is now 49.....because I met Ron Scalise.....and he was one of the "50" that matter.
The true measure of a person is not the wealth left behind, but the richness of the memories he gave to others.

Until we meet again my friend.....

Love,
Chris Fichera

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.